Collaboration contract at CERIC – Renewals project
The Central European Research Infrastructure Consortium – CERIC–ERIC, is an integrated multidisciplinary Research Infrastructure open for basic and applied research in all fields of material and biomaterial sciences and nanotechnology. CERIC has been established by integrating advanced research facilities based in 8 countries (Austria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Italy, Poland, Romania and Slovenia) into a unique European entity supporting the creation of basic and applied knowledge and promoting the mobility of researchers in an international multicultural scientific environment.
The position is open for the CERIC-ERIC research project Renewals.
The abstract of RENEWALS is reported below:
Investigation of processes occurring in liquid environments is a prerogative for understanding a vast class of phenomena in life and material sciences, which calls for adding new capabilities to the characterization tools at CERIC-ERIC facilities. We propose to exploit the TU-Graz fabrication facility in order to develop and implement environmental cells using photon and electron transparent graphene membranes (Graphene Liquid Cell, GLC), suitable for cross-talk characterization of bio-cellular specimens with atomic force, photon and electron-based microscopes at Elettra, Charles University and National Institute of Materials Physics. The GLCs will integrate two acquisition modes: in transmission for STXM-LEXRF, HRTEM and FTIR microscopy and in reflection for deep-UV Raman, SEM and fluorescence microscopy, also suitable for AFM. GLCs will allow cutting-edge experiments in aqueous media, while keeping the material complexity unaffected but under control, meeting the stringent requirements of each particular system. The performance of the developed GLCs will be demonstrated by a toxicology study on Al nanoparticles (NPs), prospective fuel additives. The planned research addresses the major challenge of the growing application of NPs: their potential adverse effects for living organisms, that still lack standardized in vitro tests for nano-toxicity assessment. RENEWALS will overcome the present limits by a multi-probe synergic approach and demonstrate its potential by exploring the correlations between cytotoxic effects and NPs’ interaction, uptake and localization in hydrated human lung cells. The outcomes will confer to the CERIC-ERIC consortium the leadership in complementary micro-analysis in natural environment of cellular and hydrated samples in general. This will boost the CERIC-ERIC international visibility, opening new opportunities to the members for participating in regional, national, cross-country and international projects, attracting companies as well.
He/she will perform the activities in collaboration with the scientists involved in the project in order to accomplish the experimental program of Renewals. In particular, he/she will be involved in the investigation of the morphological status and viability human lung Tumor A-549 cells, in both dehydrated and hydrated conditions in GLC, and in the investigation of the interaction of cells with NPs. Supported lipid membrane will be used to model NPs-cell membrane lipid interaction.
Qualification and requirements
- PhD. in Physics, Chemistry, Nanotechnology, Materials Science or related disciplines.
- Training and experience in the use of the following techniques and analytical methods is necessary: atomic force microscopy, scanning electron microscopy, fluorescence microscopy, small angle X-ray scattering, reflectometry.
- Ability to work unsupervised or together with a team in an international environment is essential.
- Good oral and written communication skills in English are essential.
- The nature of the service requested falls within those provided for by art. 409, point 3, of the italian code of civil procedure (“Other collaborative relationships that result in a continuous and coordinated provision of work, mainly personal, even if not subordinate”);
- The activities requested and performed will be autonomously organized by the collaborator, both with reference to the timing and to the place of work, without any relationship of subordination;
- Duration: from 26 August 2019 to 26 January 2020. Contract value (before taxes and contributions): 11.500,00 (eleven thousand five hundred /00 ) paid in five equal installments.
The search will be opened until a suitable candidate is found. Applications should include a full CV, the names and contact information (including electronic mail) of at least two references.
The applications should be sent to the following e-mail address: email@example.com, with the following subject: Collaboration contract at CERIC-ERIC – Renewals
For further information about the project please contact:
Dr. Lisa Vaccari
Elettra-Sincrotrone Trieste S.C.p.A. di interesse nazionale
Strada Statale 14 – km 163,5 in AREA Science Park
34149 Basovizza, Trieste – ITALY