ERICs’ regulation and operational issues discussed at the 1st Italian ERIC ForumLocation
27 June 2019, Trieste - Italy
The first Italian ERIC Forum on ERICs’ regulation and operational issues took place on 27 June 2019 at the CERIC headquarters in Trieste.
The meeting was organized in line with Work Package 1 of the ACCELERATE project, which has as objective, among others, to develop policies and methodologies for advanced operational aspects of ERICs through a set of activities.
The first Italian ERIC Forum brought together representatives from existing ERICs and ERICs in preparation with seats in Italy in order to share experiences, present best practices and discuss common challenges. Participating organizations included, in addition to CERIC: EPOS-ERIC, E-RIHS, CTA and EMSO-ERIC.
The event focused on various aspects spanning ERICs’ operational issues, ranging from institutional aspects, internal rules, staff issues and the management of the access provision. These aspects include:
- Structure of the ERIC, its status and relation with Representing Entities;
- ERIC’s internal rules and best practice procedures: Administrative and Procurement rules;
- Tax Exemption and In-Kind Contribution, Accounting, Financial policies, economic and non-economic activities;
- HR issues and perspectives: contracts, mobility and management;
- ERIC Regulations’ implementation and membership;
- Management of the access provision: approaches and instruments.
Following thorough discussions on the above aspects, participants described which are the issues emerging and possible solutions. They have set an action plan and how to propose to focus on these or other potential topics which would be covered during the 2nd Italian ERIC Forum, expected to take place in autumn 2019 in Bologna. The event will be organized by CTAO (the Cherenkov Telescope Array Observatory), which submitted to the European Commission in March 2019 the step 1 application to become an ERIC.