Nano-Pharma – Nano-analytics for Pharmaceutics
CERIC-ERIC offers services based on Nano-analytical and multi-technique methodologies, which will be applied in the project in order to meet the requirements imposed on modern pharmaceutical products, as well as to satisfy new restrictive quality rules. The research team will use Nano-analytical multi-techniques for the development of drug formulations and release in solid, liquid-crystal and liquid state. The examples are systems enclosed with active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs).
Drug formulations and quality development are very time-consuming and cost-intensive. The PI proposes to work on methodologies based on Nano analytics. The research will impact the therapeutic performance of Nano-systems once administered. Hence, the research project focuses on the application and development of new Nano-methodologies for better medicine.
Principal Investigator: Aden Hodzic
Scientific field(s) and main challenges of the project
The increasing importance of Nano analytics for pharmaceutical technology opens a new field of applications for drug research and quality control by using, applying and developing novel tools. The upcoming (European, national and international) laws and regulations for ensuring quality of products will bring more rigorous rules especially in the pharmaceutical and food industries. Hence, the development/application of new methods that allow useful results in the more sensible Nano-range, may respond to the new requirements and lead to a better quality of development and production as well as to shorter production-times, while avoiding drug side effects and bringing a financial benefit.
Resources and Laboratories
- XRD Beamline (Italian CERIC partner facility at Elettra Sincrotrone Trieste), Italy
- SAXS Beamline and SWAXS Laboratory (Austrian CERIC partner facility at the Technical University Graz and in Trieste), Austria/Italy
- Formulation (micro-particles, nano-particles, particle characterization and in vitro dissolution studies) (KF-Uni Graz), Austria
- Formulation (liquid crystals drug delivery systems), (Univ. Copenhagen), Denmark
- NMR (Slovenian CERIC partner facility at the National Institute of Chemistry in Ljubljana), Slovenia
- SEM, AFM, Optical Methods (Univ. of Latvia), Latvia
- Neutron Source, (BNC) Hungary
- Raman (Croatian CERIC facility at the Ruđer Bošković Institute in Zagreb), Croatia
- Specific Nano-particles preparation (UCL), London – UK
- KIT-5-Assisted Synthesis of Mesoporous SnO2 for High-Performance Humidity Sensors with a Swift Response/Recovery Speed
Vojisavljević K., Savić S.M., Počuča-Nešić M., Hodžić A., Kriechbaum M., Ribić V., Rečnik A., Vukašinović J., Branković G., Djokić V., Molecules, 2023, DOI.
- Revealing hidden molecular nanostructure details in the pellet formulation of ibuprofen by combining Synchrotron and laboratory sources
Hodzic A., Birarda G., Juraic K., Sket P., Eder S., Kriechbaum M., D’Amico F., De Giacomo O., Roblegg E., Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, 2022, DOI
- Biocompatibility of mesoporous SBA-16/hydroxyapatite nanocomposite and dentin demineralized particles on human dental pulp stem cells
Bulajić D. V., Drljača J., Čapo I., Savić S. M., Vojisavljević K., Hodžić A., Sekulić S., Bajkin B. V., Microscopy Research and Technique, 2021, DOI
- Co-Precipitation Synthesis of Stable Iron Oxide Nanoparticles with NaOH: New Insights and Continuous Production via Flow Chemistry
Basenhard M.O., LaGrow A.P., Hodzic A., Kriechbaum M., Panariello L., Bais G., Loizou K., Damilos S., Margarida Cruz M., Thi Kim Thanh N., Gavriilidis A., Chemical Engineering Journal, 125740, 2020, DOI
- Comprehensive characterization of nanostructured lipid carriers using laboratory and synchrotron X-ray scattering and diffraction.
Tetyczka C., Hodzic A., Kriechbaum M., Juraić K., Spirk C., Hartl S., Pritz E., Leitinger E., Roblegg E., European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, 2019, DOI
- Unravelling the growth mechanism of the co-precipitation of iron oxide nanoparticles with the aid of synchrotron X-Ray diffraction in solution.
LaGrow A.P., Besenhard M.O., Hodzic A., Sergides A., Bogart L.K., Gavrilidis A., Thanh N. T.K., Nanoscale, 2019, DOI
- Modelling of simultaneously obtained small and wide-angle synchrotron-radiation scattering depth profiles of ordered titania nanotube thin films.
Juraić K., Plodinec M., Kereković I., Meljanac D., Mandić V., Gracin D,. Janicki V., Bernstorff S., Čeh M., Hodzic A., Gajović A. Materials Chemistry and Physics, 2020, DOI
Several service and research agreements have been signed and are in progress, in partnership with a world player pharmaceutical company.
Below are listed the reports stemming from such cooperation:
- Basic Research and Service. First Report – Hodzic et al. 2019
- Applied Research and Service. Phase A Report – Hodzic et al. 2019
- Applied Research and Service. Phase B Report – Hodzic et al. 2019
- Applied Research and Service. Phase C & D Report – Hodzic et al. 2020
- M. Besenhard et al. Presentation at Conference: 10th World Congress of Chemical Engineering (Barcelona / Spain, 2017)
- A. Hodzic et al. Presentation at Conference: Science @ CERIC, (Hermagor / Austria 2017)
- A. Hodzic et al. Presentation at Conference: From Materials to Science (Prague / Czech Republic 2018)
- A. Hodzic et al. Presentation at Conference: SYNERGI2018 (Amsterdam / The Netherlands 2018)
- A. Hodzic et al. Presentation at Conference: Eurofinish + Materials 2019 (Lueven/ Belgium 2019)
- C. Tetyczka et al. Presentation at Conference: OPhG (Graz/Austria 2019)
- M. Besenhard et al. Presentation at Workshop: FlowMat2019 @ Sorbonne University (Paris/France 2019)
Tetyczka et al. Poster at Conference: 3rd European Conference, Bringing science into pharmaceutical practice (Bologna/Italy 2019)
Dr. Aden Hodzic
Prof. Heinz Amenitsch
Dr. Manfred Kriechenbaum
Dr. Krunoslav Juraic
Dr. László Szentmiklósi
Dr. Tamás Belgya
Dr. János Füzy
Prof. Janez Plavec
Dr. Primož Šket
Prof. Anan Yaghmur
Dr. Stefan Salentinig
Prof. Eva Roblegg
Dr. Roman Viter
Dr. Max Besenhard